Prospect Park West bike lane—Love it or hate it?

Bike lanes—love ‘em or hate ‘em?

As a pedestrian, I love them. They expand sidewalks, making it easier to navigate busy streets and providing an ever-so-valuable sense of personal space.

When driving, I can’t help but feel that bike lanes are meant to discourage me from using my car. Maybe I’m missing something, but my experience of bike lanes is that they are more effective in restricting vehicles than encouraging bicyclists.

I wanted to create a survey to see how other New Yorkers experience bike lanes, and thought I would restrict my query to the one-summer old example along Prospect Park West—which offended the motorist in me on a recent Sunday drive.

According to the Brooklyn Paper, Borough President Marty Markowitz says that the bike lane would exacerbate traffic and parking problems. (It’s interesting to note that the article makes only passing note of actual bicyclists.) Transportation Alternatives, meanwhile, is asking bike lane supporters to fill out an online form urging DOT commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan to keep the bike lane in place.

What’s your take on the Prospect Park West bike lane? Has it increased safety? Exacerbated parking and traffic concerns? Provided better bike access? Please fill out this survey and let me know what you think.

This entry was posted in Survey and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.