Why are you here?

There is a saying in Texas, “I wasn’t born in Texas, but I got here as soon I could.” I was born in Texas and couldn’t wait to leave. I knew to truly further my career; I’d have to leave the Lone Star state.

As I’ve traveled around New York City and met new faces, I’ve noticed a trend: numerous people move here from elsewhere. What is the draw of New York City? Is it the old saying, “If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere?”

My experience moving here and meeting so many transplants caused me to ask the question: Why did you move to New York City? I put the question to two acquaintances and this is what they had to say:

Chris Nelson-

I moved to New York for the opportunity to work at NBC. After two years of working at a local market, I knew it was time for me to look for another opportunity. The chance to work at the network was a once in a lifetime experience.

Janelle Richards-

There are so many opportunities in New York, especially for media. The city never sleeps and it is sooo diverse…in a way, it’s the perfect place to be when you are young. There’s always something to do.

Whatever a person’s reason is for moving to New York City, you have to admit this place is pretty special.  You could spend all day in Manhattan and not see all the neighborhoods on the island. You could spend two months here and not visit all five boroughs.  New York is a big place with a rich history and diverse culture. Indulge me and write back telling me why did you move to New York?